Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Serious Business

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord my rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

Not too often will I write two devotionals from one Psalm, as I continue to work through all 150 of mostly David’s writings. But this verse will be an exception because I quote it so often.

If you have ever attended worship at Grace Harbor you surely have heard me pray these words before I bring the message. They are a sincere effort to keep oneself in check and in perspective. It is no trivial thing to open the Bible and teach. Before anyone does they should always carefully consider the serious task they are about to undertake. When I am about to share from His word I am suddenly aware of the awesome responsibility I have to teach the Word correctly. Some of this comes from preparation and study, the rest of it comes from the humble recognition of who He is, and who I am not.

I recommend to each of you, that whenever you study God’s Word that you say a prayer to make sure you are ready and willing to receive it is appropriate. Not a formula or a quick ditty to go through the motions, but a heartfelt request to not be careless or mindless when considering His Word.

When we think about our words it is wise to consider both mouth and heart when we do anything; to ask whether it will be pleasing before action is crucial. When representing Him on any level, I recommend weighing who He is as both a Rock and Redeemer. As we do so, we should be in that place of inspired humbleness where it is not at all about us, but about Him.

This exercise will keep you from not only misspeaking His truth, but also will protect you from misunderstanding & misinterpretation and misappropriation & misapplication. The Word of God is very serious business. Be careful how you use it and don’t abuse it. May His Spirit guide and direct you in all things pertaining to truth.

In His Service, Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment