Thursday, September 20, 2012

Reminders

"The plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of His heart through all generations." Psalm 33:11

What is the plan and purpose of God? I read here that they are firm, and long lasting and that they come from His heart, but what exactly are they. Scripture tells us that He plans to bless us, and prosper us, to love us, and provide for us. So, why is it that we struggle so hard to discover His plan and purpose for us? I have always believed that God has our best interest in mind. My God is a loving and compassionate God, that cares deeply and sincerely for His people. My problem is that I too often forget to run my plans and purposes by Him. I seem to get an idea going without really ever checking it with Him. How could I change that? How could I get to where I figure out that I am in God's will, before I figure out that I am out of His will? I am sure that you ask these questions too.

We as human beings, as needy as we are at times, do tend to act rather self-sufficient for the most part. We seem to conduct big portions of our lives as if God wasn't looking, didn't care or didn't know what we were up to. I think the best solution to the problem of being out of touch with God's purpose and/or plan is to be more constantly in contact. Instead of trying to connect with God all the time, we should be so connected to Him that we don't disconnect. If indeed God has the best ideas, plans, purposes and will for my life, perhaps non-stop communication with Him would be the solution for losing sight of where He is trying to lead me.

I am a big proponent of Godtalk. Godtalk is a little different than prayer, in that it is the effort to allow God to be a never-ending stream of consciousness, between me and Him. This helps me a great deal not to get overwhelmed with what I cannot control. Praying is essential, but staying in touch with God on an hourly or even minute to minute basis is wonderful. If God is always "online" with me, then I am more likely to run stuff by Him for approval or for at least a 'look-see'. When I get so totally focused or obsessed or impassioned about what I want, need or am bound and determined to do I am capable of losing touch with the God input factor. How about you?

One of the best ways to stay in touch is to surround myself with reminders. Such as verses, Christian music, spiritual symbology, whatever I can access, to help me think of God. Recently, Colby and I went to see the trains at Red Hill at the tracks... near the Citrus Cafe. We parked by the fence and watched several trains go by. We would listen for the whistle and then run out and get close to the hedge (Colby stood on the hood of my car) and stand in awe and silence as the Surf Liner would whiz by... yelling whoooo wooo whoooo woo. As fun and precious as that sounds, the best part of the experience was the sunrise. I pointed out to Colby that God paints the sunrise every morning. When we finished breakfast and got in the car to come to the church.... he said "Papa, God sure is a good painter, huh?" I said, "Yep, the best." Had to smile. That only happened because we made God part of our conversation.

So today, not just in nature, but everywhere. SEE Him, FEEL Him, SENSE Him, HEAR Him. He wants to connect with us all the time you know. He has a wonderful plan and purpose beyond the sunrises and sunsets. He wants to share in every experience with us, to constantly be in touch. That is His plan and purpose. It glorifies Him (His ultimate purpose) when we acknowledge Him every moment possible. In the quiet of this moment I am enjoying bringing this devotional to a close. I hope you know His plan for you is as wonderful as you are willing to discover.

Godtalk, in His presence, in Him, never-ending.......
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. What a breath of fresh air your words have been this morning! Thank you, Pastor Fred!

    ReplyDelete