Wednesday, September 5, 2012

What are You Expecting?

"He who is pregnant with evil and conceives trouble gives birth to disillusionment. He who digs a hole and scoops it out falls into the pit he has made. The trouble he causes recoils on himself; his violence comes down on his own head." Psalm 7:14-16

Sometimes it can feel like everything and everyone is out to get you. Some days you wish you would have stayed in bed. We make enough of our own mistakes, missteps and miscues without having misunderstandings, misguided murmurings and mischievous malcontent added to my miserable mix. David was often “fed up”, “maxed out”, and “done” with troublemakers and enemies and any and all who would judge him or destroy him. He turns to God and asks to be delivered and dealt with if necessary. We all know too well this kind of utter frustration usually fueled by people and predicaments most often is totally out of our control. Turning these matters over to God is essential. David writes three very picturesque verses to vent his vitriol and I think not only unloads his perception of his persecutors, but maybe, gets just a little picture of his own potential for problems. I know I sometimes see myself in my own sermons. Hmmmm.

These verses seem to both comfort and convict me, at the same time. Read them carefully and try not to think of anyone in particular until you’ve considered yourself, that’s what I did. :0).

In His grip,
Pastor Fred

“He who is pregnant with evil and conceives trouble gives birth to disillusionment.”

"He who digs a hole and scoops it out falls into the pit he has made."

"The trouble he causes recoils on himself; his violence comes down on his own head."

"p.s. Verse 17 is a beautiful way to end this exercise in reflection, David says," I will give thanks to the Lord because of His righteousness and I will sing praises to the name of the Lord Most High."

1 comment:

  1. Quite the necessary devotional today, Pastor Fred, so thank you! Only an hour or so ago I asked God to give it to me honestly about my own behavior as it relates to someone with whom I interact daily. "Okay, God, I've pointed out the speck in her eye enough, go ahead and show me my own now. C'mon, I can take it," I bravely challenged. Well...he did. Through your devotional. Turns out, I've been pregnant with evil, conceiving trouble, and have down right given birth to disillusionment. Fortunately, He has shown me before I dig any deeper. I think tomorrow I'll leave my shovel at home. What a timely message this has been, and oh how judgmental I've been in a certain circumstance. Thank You, sweet Jesus, for Your forgiveness and grace, and thank you, Pastor Fred, for serving Him so humbly and well.

    ReplyDelete