Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Proverbs about Foolishness - Part 7

We all should marvel at the wisdom of Solomon that was a gift of God. Abraham Lincoln paraphrased a proverb once and is quoted as saying, “It is better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.” This is a hybrid of several pieces of proverbial wisdom and certainly true. Lincoln was a wise president, and under extreme duress, remained true to his beliefs and principles.

1. Anger leads to foolishness. (Proverbs 14:17)
2. The simple inherit folly. (Proverbs 14:18)
3. His foolishness is folly. (Proverbs 14:24)
4. He shows how little he knows. (Proverbs 14:33)
5. His mouth pours out foolishness. (Proverbs 15:2)

Here are my personal experience reflections on the next 5 proverbs.

1) I have said more foolish things in anger than any other condition.
2) My father and I have both told our sons, “Do as I say, not as I do.”
3) When caught in foolishness, I should never explain at length.
4) I have made a fool out of myself speaking from my ignorance.
5) My second and third foolish comments have never made the first one sound any wiser.

We should choose our words carefully. Never use many words or any even if righteously angered and at all times make sure that we exercise restraint when speaking under pressure. Only I am in charge of what comes out of my mouth and am responsible for the damage it causes. If I don’t like backtracking, I should make sure what I say is on track in the first place.

Enough said today,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment