Thursday, October 9, 2014

Proverbs about Foolishness - Part 8

I have said before that I was raised by Ward and June Cleaver (The parents on “Leave it to Beaver”). We were the iconic family of the 50’s. What a joy and privilege to have lived back then as a little boy. There was a magical innocence to the decade. Truman and Eisenhower were my childhood presidents. TV was new and we were not at war. There was wider acceptance of right and wrong from the biblical perspective and it was easier to identify foolishness.

1. A fool despises his father’s instruction. (Proverbs 15:5)
2. He enlightens no one. (Proverbs 15:7)
3. His mouth feeds on foolishness. (Proverbs 15:14)
4. A foolish man despises his mother. (Proverbs 15:20)
5. Folly is joy to a fool. (Proverbs 15:21)

1) My dad gets wiser even though he is in heaven.
2) When being a fool, I enjoy other fools. This fool should seek the wise sooner.
3) My foolishness does seem to come in rushes.
4) The older I get the more I appreciate my mom.
5) I am embarrassed by the fact that what I once thought was fun was really foolish.

Times have changed, the Bible hasn’t. God’s truth was the same in 1950 as it will be in 2015. God’s truth didn’t change during the 60’s. Sexual immorality is as wrong now as it was when I was born. So is racism. Wisdom is unchanging, foolishness is the same too. We have much to learn and aren’t as wise as we think, and more foolish than we’ll admit. That hasn’t changed either. Humans need a Savior. God provided one in Jesus. Wisdom begins with surrender to God. Everything else can fall into place after that, if you keep surrendering.

In Him,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment