Friday, October 31, 2014

Stop Doing Wrong

"Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow." Isaiah 1:17

I am reading Isaiah again. WOW! Great stuff. So thought provoking and deep. Much to consider. It is Saturday morning, which means I am here at the church for the Neighborhood Food Ministry. This outreach is growing again. As I sit in my car with the door open, many people have come by today to thank us for allowing this to happen here. One woman spoke of her son that she gets food for. She has been unemployed since 2011. She is 61 years old and in poor health, herself. A single mom since the 80’s, she raised her kids alone after their father abandoned them. She is trying to get by and help her adult children too, especially her son who is 30. He took the disappearance of his dad the hardest. He is now divorced, unemployed, and working part-time jobs. Mom goes to Calvary Chapel, Costa Mesa since she came to Christ 40 years ago.

Another woman is her late 70’s has thanked us for being a source of more nutritious foods for her and her husband for more than 6 years. They retired poor and have struggled, and she is blessed that people care and provide fresh foods for people who can’t afford their monthly expenses. This ministry makes their life so much easier. She is very concerned about the widow in line today who lives on the street. She tried to get her into a shelter last week but there was no room. The widow struggles with mental health issues.

As today’s food ministry wraps up, I am watching everybody cleaning up and help each other. A man has run across the parking lot to give something special that he found to the mom with two kids in the car. She smiles broadly and is visibly touches by the effort to bless her.

As I greet the workers and people in line today, about 30 folks, I am convicted again as our verse says today, how “right” this is. How encouraged people are, and how the oppressed, widows, and fatherless are being helped a little and I am moved to tears. I shall continue to plead their case and play a part in this ministry. At the same time, I am drawn back to the first few words in this Word of God given to Isaiah. They say, “Stop doing wrong.” I am convicted about the wrong I do, as I am about the right I do. I recently dealt more firmly and accountably with an issue between my ears that keeps plaguing me. We must do both. Do right and stop doing wrong. I believe when I do right, it is easier to stop doing wrong or thinking wrong, for that matter.

I am grateful, blessed, and glad to be part of His Kingdom work, and to be shown His grace again, too.

So, keep the faith with me,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment