Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Three R’s

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy, He saved us through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Christ Jesus our Savior." Titus 3:5-6 NKJ

I want to know and understand the basics of my salvation according to His Word. This passage explains it simply. Back in the day, the basics of education were referred to as the three “R’s” : Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic. Obviously, that is actually an “R”, a “W”, and an “A”, but they all have an “R” sound in them. Basic education has gotten very far away from the basics and so has the basic understanding of our salvation. The three “R’s” in the passage are righteousness, regenerating, and renewing. Let me share the basic understands about these terms.

1. Righteousness – His righteousness, not mine is what can save me. What He did saves me, not what I do.

2. Regeneration – I need to be regenerated, for I am dead in my sin. I can’t do this for myself. He regenerates me by shedding His blood for me which can forgive me. It washes over me, covering my sin and giving me new life, when I believe.

3. Renewing – When I accept Christ as Savior, His Holy Spirit indwells me and I begin a lifelong process of renewing. We have this in abundance, overflowing.

The three “R’s”. Do you understand the basics?

Hope so,
Pastor Fred


No comments:

Post a Comment