Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Proverbs about the Character of Fools - Part 1

As convicting as the Proverbs about our righteousness were, of equal conviction will the 55+ Proverbs about foolishness be. The wisest thing I’ve ever done was to surrender my heart to Christ. This fool needed to do that. Ever since, I have been a work in progress. Lord, please help me to keep progressing and to live by grace in humility, and yet be empowered to serve you. My accountability to Him is reflected in my character. My character is the basis for my reputation. My reputation affects my witness. My witness is my purpose. My purpose is to reflect Him. I must be aware of my old sin nature at all times, so I can avoid foolishness. Here are the first five proverbs about the character of fools.

1. The fool despises wisdom and instruction. (Proverbs 1:7)
2. He hates knowledge. (Proverbs 1:22)
3. He is filled with his own devices. (Proverbs 1:31)
4. His prosperity will destroy him. (Proverbs 1:32)
5. He is headed for shame. (Proverbs 3:35)

Here are some of my brief reflections.
1. I tend to want to learn what supports what I like about me.
2. I especially loathe the Scripture that sees through my foolishness.
3. I don’t check some of my plans, plots and ideas with Him.
4. I am not a good saver and can go through my windfalls pretty fast.
5. I particularly dislike my propensity to repeat what I am ashamed of.

Now you reflect. My tendencies, weaknesses and confessions may be different than yours.

With transparent love,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment