Monday, August 6, 2012

Counting Blessings

"Blessed is the man" Psalms 1:1a

I want to spend some time in the Psalms. This devotional ministry has been ongoing for many years and I have so appreciated the many contributors. We are so blessed to have such inspired and creative writers, many from the Grace Harbor Church Council, the Colombia Mission Team members, and others, too. I hope you are as encouraged and convicted as I am by the daily devotionals.

The purpose of Psalms is to provide poetry for the expression of praise, worship, and confession to God. I am familiar with these expressions and the devoted life must practice them all regularly. The first four words of Psalms 1 say, “Blessed is the man.” Those words alone give me cause to pause, for indeed I am blessed. So totally and completely overwhelmed by God’s goodness, grace, mercy and love that four words slow me down to consider it again, just how blessed I am. That attitude and that perspective make me so much more teachable, reachable, and able to be transformed. When I read the Word I must slow down and meditate on it; line upon line, precept on precept and truth on truth. Because I desire to be a blessed man and recognize that I am already I want to know what a blessed man does and doesn’t do, where he finds delight, and how he grows in the Lord.

The Psalms address the themes of praise, thoughtfulness, forgiveness, trust and God’s power. Wow…do those topics keep us in check and in perspective. I pray you are blessed and want to be blessed. I am counting my blessings today, naming them one by one (as the old hymn says)…

"Count your many blessings, see what God has done."

Unless we slow down, unless we think about it, it is so easy to forget. The Psalms help us remember who we are and who He is and keep that truth ever-present.

Be blessed in Him,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment