Monday, August 13, 2012

Time To Say “But”

"O LORD, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me! Many are saying of me, "God will not deliver him." Selah. But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. Selah. I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side. Arise, O LORD! Deliver me, O my God! Strike all my enemies on the jaw; break the teeth of the wicked. From the LORD comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people. Selah" Psalm 3:1-8

This Psalm is written when David is running from his rebellious son, Absalom and a host of traitors. Can you identify with David? I can. Sometimes when people love and circumstances go against us, it is tempting to think that God also is against us. David reminds us the opposite is true. When everything seems to be falling apart, God is still for us. He has never nor will He ever leave us or forsake us. When we have that sinking feeling that all is lost He is our shield that protects us and will lift us out of the depths of despair.

It is easy, frankly speaking, to get on the down spiral and start to doubt, question, and lament our situation. Notice what David does in the in the 3rd paragraph of this Psalm.

In verse 1 & 2, he states his case and lets God know how he feels. He says he is upside down, and prospects look bad. He is honest and transparent. He then starts verse 3 with the word "But." So perfect! When we are complaining or venting, how long before we say "BUT" and interrupt ourselves and turn our attitude around? He hears himself, and then listens to himself turn it around by faith, claiming the promises of God. Read them. Believe them. All 6 of them.

1. He is our shield
2. He lifts our head
3. He hears our cry
4. He answers us
5. He gives us yet another answer
6. We are sustained

David’s fear passes, no matter what the odds against him. Then in boldness he surrenders the battle to God, asking God to sock his problems in the jaw. Then the Lord delivers him, and he shares what I close my thoughts with you today.

"Lord, may Your blessing be on Your people!"

As we read, study, and contemplate the Psalms, receive the truth, embrace it, allow it to work in your life.

In Him,
Pastor Fred Snider

No comments:

Post a Comment