Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My Song

"I will sing to the Lord for He has been good to me." Psalm 13:6

As we work our way through this Psalm I am struck by the stark contrast between David’s utter dismay and his tremendous faith. He is so like us. I’ll admit it, he’s like me. I can in one breath be beside myself and in the next breath be completely together.

David has any ability as he reckons with himself through honest self-disclosure to worry; even fear, wrestle; he sorrowfully and almost seemingly gives up…..then all at once turns to the Lord, trusts Him, His unfailing love and rejoices in His salvation and starts singing. I am greatly encouraged by this transparent process of the man who is described as a man after God’s own heart.

I have this capability, to in no uncertain terms, describe the peril of my situation; extreme details included, with references to my enemies, my flagging hope and pending doom, then….seemingly out of nowhere, all of a sudden consider God and immediately start to turn my mood, attitude, and concerns around. I move from near hopeless to completely hopeful, from defeat to victory, from sadness to joy. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t do this many times per day or even per week, but in the normal battles of life I can always get my head turned around if I will turn to the Lord. Sometimes I do it because I start singing and realize how good He has been to me. Other times I do it by realizing how good He has been to me and then I just start singing. Either way that song is in my heart and it wants to come out. I encourage us all to count our blessings in the midst of trouble. Cry out to the Lord! Then Praise Him! It works. Be real and be faithful. David wasn’t a man after God’s own heart for no reason. He is who he is because of the Lord and more so because he constantly surrenders to Him. Here are the words to the last song I wrote at such a time. I hope to share it with us in worship soon.

So I Stop…
I can see your face, when I close my eyes
When I’m on my knees, then I realize
Just who you are, and who I’m not
And what you’ve done, almost forget
So I stop….
And just listen……
For awhile….
The your love flows down, all over me
And when I open my eyes I can see

In Him,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment