Monday, July 21, 2014

Proverbs for Everyone (Part 11)


Only seven today, but it is plenty. The theme for me today is about acting right, sometimes called professionalism or class. My father often said to act right even if you don’t want to, don’t feel like it or have a right not to. He was right.

  1. Moderate your appetite before the King. (Pro 23:1-2)
  2. Do not be a glutton. (Pro. 18:21)
  3. Increase your faith and be strong. (Pro 24:10)
  4. Do not eat too much honey. (Pro. 25:16)
  5. Keep your place before kings, do not promote yourself. (Pro 25:6-7)
  6. Do not hide the truth in any matter. (Pro. 25:9)
  7. Give food and drink to your enemy and you will be blessed. (Pro 25:21-22)
Integrity, appropriateness and finesse are appreciated more than they are practiced or promoted. There is far too much garish behavior, unseemly outbursts and crazy-making in the world today. People flaunt their freedom, rights and personas and wonder why they face obstacles, suffer defeats and embarrass themselves. Here are seven corresponding statements I have heard that indicate to me that proverbial wisdom is needed more than ever.
  1. I don’t have to moderate anything for anyone, particularly the King.
  2. I will eat whatever I choose thank you.
  3. More faith is only for the weak who need it.
  4. If some is good, more can only be better.
  5. I don’t respect the King, but if I were King.
  6. Nobody’s business what I cover up.
  7. My enemies can go to hell.
We are prone to be full of ourselves and puffed up. Haughty, mean and ill-tempered. We say and do many inappropriate things. I am convicted, you?

Be Merciful O God,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment