Friday, July 4, 2014

The Lord's Eyes Are Open and His Ears Are Attentive To Our Prayers

Good morning everyone. Our Friday devotion comes to us from Council Member, Charlotte Adams.

I've given a lot of thought to sharing the following Scripture  verse, as it comes to me each year as we display it in July every year on the Poster Board in our office.  It's from 2Chronicles 7:14, and I'm sure that you all know it as well. 

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

Forty powerful words!  Let's take a much closer look at what He actually, not only says, but promises.  But, as always, He is allowing us to use our free will by starting with the word "if".  When He says "my people", He is talking about us.  Yes, that would be you and me --- "who are called by My name".  His name is Jesus Christ and we, as "Christians" are called by His name, correct?  "Since" (not "if") we are called by His name, we are asked to do FOUR things - humble ourselves AND pray, AND seek His face, AND turn from our wicked ways.  That doesn't seem like so much for Him to ask of us, but we, as Christians, called by His name, struggle mightily with this because we have a difficult time turning over EVERYTHING to him.  As a people, we tend not to be humble about too much of anything.  We don't pray as much as we should.  We are quick to seek out His Face, it seems, much more in times of trouble than we do when things are going great for us.  Turning from our wicked ways probably gives us the most problem of these four requests because we are all sinners and so easily separated from Him.  It doesn't take much, does it?  I didn't mean to generalize that this applies to all of us, but, if you could substitute the word "I" in place of the word "we", then I think maybe it could apply to you, as well as me.
However, take comfort in the fact that our God, Jesus Christ, tells us that "if" we do those things, He will hear from Heaven, He will forgive our sin, and He will heal our land.  Whenever, I hear the word "will", I take that as His promise that provides the needed comfort and peace that can only come from Him.  It makes me want to try just a little bit harder to do my part.  Verse 15 goes further, with our God declaring "Now My eyes will be open and My ears attentive to the prayers offered."  Verse 16 further promises "My eyes and My heart will always be there."
Take comfort!  Our God reigns!   Have a very blessed Fourth of July weekend. We invite you to join us for Sunday service on July 6th at 10:00 a.m. when Covenant Member Gerry Mouzis, [while Pastor Fred and Dawn enjoy their time away] will complete delivering his 2-part message on "Forgiveness."In His Love,
Charlotte Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment