Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Proverbs for Those in Business (Part 4)


These just more than 30 Proverbs about business are excellent stewardship advice. They are full of direction, warning, encouragement, and sound counsel. I have met a few stellar people who were wonderful stewards. One of these reminds me of them. They shared a lot with me and Grace Harbor.

  1. Choose a faithful messenger.
  2. Your fig tree will yield fruit if you care for it.
  3. Honor a servant who waits on his master.
  4. Your goats will enable you to buy land; your lambs will give you clothing.
  5. Unjust gain will be lost and given to the compassionate.
  6. Do not hurry to become rich.
  7. Riches do not last.
  8. Mere words may not correct a servant.
My friend Stan Spaulding taught me a few things. Some of them came flooding back to me as I read #2 about fig trees yielding fruit if you care for them. Grace Harbor will build a Children’s Education Building in the coming years with the proceeds from his estate, which he gave to Grace Harbor Church and School. One day Stan showed me the fig tree he planted decades ago out the back window of the worship center. The last physical work Stan did at the last workday he attended (when he was 96) he spent a couple of hours tilling, aerating, pruning and generally fussing with that scrawny, barren, dry and seemingly lifeless stalk of a fig tree. I asked him when he was done. “Will it ever bear fruit again?” He said, “Definitely, it is what fig trees do. All you have to do is give them a little TLC (tender loving care). You’ll see, I may not see, but you’ll see.” Last year I did for the first time, this year again. I should not be surprised. But, I am amazed. He also told me; “people are the same way, they just need TLC.”
Love you,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment