Friday, July 11, 2014

Stop Worrying Long Enough to Hear His Voice

I don’t know if any of you have been inspired to go out and purchase one of Sarah Young’s Devotional books (Devotions for Every Day of the Year) after reading any of my devotionals, but I hope so because many of them are inspired from her “Jesus Calling “ /Enjoying Peace in His Presence and “Dear Jesus”/Seeing His Light in Your Life books. She has another one, “Jesus Lives”/Seeing His Love in Your Life, which I have not yet purchased but plan to. It doesn’t feel like I’m stealing from her work product because why else would she spend her time and effort writing so masterfully about God’s Word and Promises if she didn’t want them to be shared to encourage others. When I read something that truly blesses me, I can’t wait to share that with someone else hoping it will have the same effect. Such was the case yesterday when I shared my devotional reading for Wednesday, July 9th, with my husband, as we just happen to be on different Coasts for the past week. The devotional reading started with this very sentence – STOP WORRYING long enough to hear My voice. After he received it yesterday morning, he texted me back this: “Sweet Pie. Thank you and this devotional and verses hit the spot this morning.”
Sometimes, we all need that “wake up call” to remind us that worrying and being anxious doesn’t change anything one iota. In fact, all needless worrying seems to do is worsen the situation and yields other problems, such as physical ailments (headaches, gastrointestional problems, unexplained aches and pains), as the body does not take kindly to worry, does it? Why indeed do we spend time worrying instead of seeking out God on whatever is the cause of concern at the time? Sarah reminded us that during these times we should quiet our minds and think His thoughts, and not let the “noises of the world” or our” “own anxious thoughts” deafen us to what God already has planned and has under His control. Bottom line, if we are truly seeking “the peace” of God’s presence (hint,hint: the sub-title of this devotional book), then His thoughts can surely reprogram our thinking, from worry to trust. He wants us to choose the latter. Let us be constantly reminded that we are His children, and thus, we are patterned after His own image, AND He loves us.
Sarah shared that perspective in these verses: “…Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to His voice, and hold fast to Him. For the Lord is your life…” (Deuteronomy 30:20); “So God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created Him; male and female He created them.” (Genesis 1:27); “Therefore, I urge you, brothers [and sisters] , … Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then, you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – His good, pleasing, and perfect will.” (Romans 12:2).
As always, may God add His Blessings to “our” readings of His Word. If somehow, worrying had managed to creep into your thoughts this day, I hope that you were encouraged as you read my devotional today. I am trusting, not worrying, that God will return me safely home to California tonight to my family and friends.
In His Name,
Charlotte Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment